Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Here’s a simple but delicious recipe for those of you who like good food, but don’t have the patience for it. One of my favorite things that I miss about eating dairy is creamy foods. With a few tweaks, this recipe turned out great!
If you’re about simplifying things, don’t feel obligated to use all fresh ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (or butter substitute of your choice)
- 6 cloves finely diced garlic
- 1 pound of shrimp (cooked or uncooked)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow medium onion, diced
- 1 cup of coconut milk (or 1 can)
- Salt and pepper for taste
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes
- 3 cups washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. First melt your butter substitute and then add garlic and fry briefly till fragrant. If you’re cooking shrimp, now’s the time to fry them in the garlic mixture. Regardless set aside your shrimp till later.
- Next fry the diced onion in the garlic mixture left in your pan. Add your cherry tomatoes and fry them for 1-2 minutes.
- Lower heat to to low-medium and add the coconut milk (shake first) in a medium sized pot. Allow it to simmer and stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper for taste.
- Throw in spinach and allow it to wilt. Bring it to a simmer again. Here add cornstarch to thicken the mixture as well as the tomatoes and what’s left of garlic mixture.
- Toss the shrimp into the pot and add the herbs and any other spices. Stir thoroughly.
- It’s ready to serve over rice or gluten free grain of your choice. Use steamed veggies if you’re looking for a more low carb option.
Try this recipe? Please let me know on social media with the hashtag #HNAFeats. Comment down below if there are any recipes you’d like to see next.